Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Android


I lost my iPhone; the rather improbable and slightly unbelievable story is not worth repeating. I lost my iPhone. Once the separation anxiety had worn off, I realized that I was not really missing it. Truth in advertising time here - I have an iPad. The WiFi one, not the 3g one. I can count on one hand the number of times I have wanted to look at something online and didn't have free WiFi nearby. I am looking at a Virgin Mobile MiFi to solve that problem (more in another post).

Back to the lost iPhone: I was not able to 'Find My Iphone' through 'me.com' but was able to change the password and set up the remote wipe. Which means the first time someone tried to use it, the phone would be useless to all but the most determined hacker. And it was a 3g, so almost out of date anyway.

So, what to do next? I could rush out and buy a new '4 or wait until the end of September and see what comes out of Apple once their 'free cover' promotion ends. Rumours abound about new hardware to solve the problem. Either way our various networks in Canada have much stronger / better signals than AT&T - it seems - so the whole 'antenna-gate' seems to be much less of an issue here. The second option is to buy an Android phone. I am with Rogers so to get a good one - comparable to iPhone I would need to switch carriers. Good to me is that latest version of the Android OS and one of two phones from either HTC or Samsung (Sony has a decent one but the bit of fancy software they add to the OS to make it more Sony I find more geared to Kids - another blog). Bottom line is that the advantages of an open operating system that is easily customizable and free (or more free) of corporate control is not worth losing the compatibility the iPhone offers. Also, while the hardware is at least as good between the two platforms in terms of screen and camera(s) the iPhone seems to win out. Can't wait to chat with my daughter with the new 'facetime' (her with my wife's phone - she will not have her own).

If I had the time and energy the Android would be my choice - hacker roots run deep. But as soon as I have to fiddle with something in a meeting and some smart ass says 'That's why I have an iPhone' and that smart ass is a senior creative - it is not worth it. Really.

In the end I dug out the last Treo I had, Rogers helped me out with a new sim and I am limping along. The PIM (personal information management - calendar and phonebook) features of the phone work fine, the web side sucks and I limp along. But I have the iPad. I will wait.

Enjoy,

Jason